Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Rome, Italy - Tuesday 22 May

We spent until 1pm walking around Helsinki, packing our bags and lunching until the taxi arrived to take us to the airport. We all took flights in different directions but of course my flight to Rome was delayed by almost two hours due to an air strike in Italy. It meant I arrived in Rome in the dark, but all was fine and without hassle.

I sat next to an Italian businessman on the flight, who gave me some great touristy tips, and also gave me directions of where to find real Italian pizza where the Italians eat (not the tourists) and a seafood restaurant. I took the Metro to the city from the airport and followed my directions to find the hostel. What an interesting place - full of character and travellers with interesting stories. One of the owners was giving all the guests shots of some kind of rum, with a chaser of peach juice which sounds terrible but was actually delicious. After a couple of those and sharing my bottle of red with some of the guests, it was off to bed. They tried to put me in a room of 5 guys, but luckily after explaining I had booked a girls only room, they understood and quickly found me another room.

Amongst others, I met two Aussie girls (one from Perth) who I will be sightseeing with today. Everyone is heading to the Vatican as the Pope is making an appearance today.

Ps. My phone finally works should you need to text.

No comments: